This Weeks 5 Frugal Things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

What a week! Work has been super busy, with a heavy work load and I have been coming home just exhausted, doing what needs to be done and falling into bed really early. At least I am sleeping well, it is the only way I have gotten through this week, I think. My co-worker has been away this week and we weren't able to get someone else to cover his role, I have had some of the other assistants dig deep and help me out, as well as completing their own roles, what a wonderful team we have! It makes coming to work a pleasure.

As I have only been doing the essentials at home, there isn't many exciting things happening on the frugal front, but here is what I achieved this week.

1. Made another spray bottle of toilet cleaner, no nasty chemicals, cheap as chips to make and very effective

2. Had an "On Toast" dinner one night, it was a can of Mexican beans, that I had bought from the Golden Circle Outlet, with cheese and an egg on avocado and vegemite toast. Delicious and cheap.

3. My darling sister and I went to the "Le Festival" at Southbank on Sunday. Why is that frugal? Because we had free admission tickets, we both travelled by train using our Go-cards, we shared lunch, we both bought our water bottles from home and we didn't buy anything from the many lovely stalls there. Although many things caught my eye, they were also very expensive, such as beautiful linen tea towels for $25.00 and gorgeous tablecloths for over $250.00. Just being there on the day was enough for us.

4. Made a loaf of my 5 minute bread to go with soup for dinner one night. I started it off in the morning before I left for work and as it was a very cold day, left it to prove all day. It was bubbly and gorgeous by the time I got home and baked it. This was a light rye loaf.

5. Packed my morning tea and lunch for work every day, simple and delicious. 

So that was my 5 frugal things this week, over to you, what have you been able to achieve this week on the frugal front?

Have a lovely day.

One Year Ago-Chicken and Pesto Pasta-which I am going to be making this coming week to use up the rest of the pesto I made to go in this dish last week.

11 comments

  1. I cooked and baked everything from scratch, and made a batch of liquid laundry detergent for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodmorning Cheryl,
      Good on you for making your first batch of laundry liquid, I hope you love it! I find it excellent and very economically as well. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. Your rye bread looks delicious, Fiona. I really have to sort out my bread-making self because I'd love to be able to make a loaf like that! My five things for the week:
    * used up lots of meals I had in portions in the freezer and made hubby's lunches here at home
    * planted more lettuce seedlings
    * started knitting a set of washcloths using yarn I already had (They will become gifts.)
    * using hot water bottles at night and warm winter doonas. Just a small heater in our son's room.
    * hanging out washing in the sunshine...free, fresh and germ busting!
    Have a lovely weekend. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg,
      I really must try and get my head around knitting a dish cloth, I just don't seem to be able to start one. I have had the wool and needles for ages now and still nothing. The bread thing is honestly very easy, that 5 minute bread recipe is a great place to start. You can leave it to prove longer in this cold weather, I left mine all day this week and it was a great loaf. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  3. Love your 'on toast' dinner. How do you get your eggs to look so good? I've tried the vinegar, swirling the water and gladwrap methods. At the moment I'm using those little silicone cups.
    On the frugal front our shopping bill was very low as I utlisied freezer meals this week.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie,
      I don't poach my eggs, lord knows I've tried. I am quite the flop at poaching, I cook my eggs by starting them off in a really hot non stick pan with a tiny drizzle of oil, then I turn the heat off, add a teaspoon of water, pop a lid on and wait about 30 seconds to a minute and then you have perfect (in my eyes) eggs, beautifullly cooked whites and soft runny yolks. I know, you know, but starting off with room temp eggs is also helpful. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fiona. I'll be trying this on the weekend.

      Delete
  4. On toast dinner looks great! I'm going to get some Mexican beans this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, they were a nice change from baked beans, very tasty and quite delicious with the melted cheese on top. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  5. Beans on toast looks great I'll have to buy some Mexican beans this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of frugal things this week - used up various leftovers in the fridge which made a slightly peculiar meal but we still enjoyed it, resisted the urge to treat myself to a glossy magazine in the supermarket which made me feel virtuous as I came home and read a book instead and dried all the laundry outside in the sunshine. Planning to cook and freeze some potatoes which are getting a bit sad. Lots of room for improvement in frugality but making some progress.
    Thanks for the Korean beef recipe - looks like our kind of meal.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top