Saturday, 15 July 2017

What we bought, ate and spent this week

Hello Dear Reader,

And welcome to the weekend! It was such a joy not to have to go to work today, as I mentioned yesterday, work has been more than challenging and I am so happy to see the end of the week. I have the entire weekend to do as I please, oh I just love it. I wake up raring to go, full of energy and optimism not at all like a work day, thank heavens for that. Today I have my normal Saturday jobs to get done like the washing, making bread and yoghurt for the week ahead, de-hairing the lounges as well as a good general tidy of the house. I do this so I can have some down time tomorrow and savour my Sunday.

This is what we bought, spent and ate...

What we bought
Marjax Meats Rothwell-Chicken thighs and Shin beef

Shopping from Northside Discount Fruit Barn

Shopping from Coles

Shopping from Aldi

What we spent
Marjax Meats-$40.85
Northside Discount Fruit Barn-$53.27
Woolworths-$33.55
Aldi-$46.52
Coles-(not pictured) purchased last night-Tempura mix, Bok Choy x 3, 2 x chips (yes, hubby did go to  Coles by himself, he just can't resist chips) and an empty spray bottle-$13.45

TOTAL-$187.64, it is on the high side this week.

What we ate
Saturday-My Mums Chicken Choy Mein

Sunday and Monday-Slow Cooked Korean Beef

Tuesday-Smoky Lentil and Chorizo Soup

Wednesday-Mexican Beans with cheese and eggs on toast. We wanted something quick and easy because of State of Origin

Thursday-Tempura Whiting with steamed Basmati rice and spinach 

Friday-Honey Prawns with steamed Basmati rice and Bok Choy

That's a wrap, what has been on your dinner table this week?

Have a lovely day.

8 comments:

  1. You always make such lovely meals, Fiona...always gets my tummy rumbling! This week, I used up a lot of meal portions I had in freezer because I really didn't feel like cooking a lot. So we ate things like spaghetti bolognese & pumpkin soup which just needed reheating. For State of Origin night, we had simple sausages & salad on bread rolls with waffles and homemade ice-cream for dessert at half-time. Have a really lovely weekend. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see your photos of what you bought I think our trolleys would be almost identical. I like seeing what people buy at the supermarket especially. I'd be hopeless working on the checkout. Too much of a sticky nose I think. I always look and wonder what they'll be cooking and how they eat etc. As I buy all our fresh produce and meat from Farmer's Market, our small local fruit and veg shop and our own garden, small local butcher my supermarket trolley is very small. It probably also looks like we don't eat fresh produce. The lower the bill at the supermarket is a good sign we are buying local and supporting small businesses plus eating a healthier diet.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your efforts to purchase your meat in reusable containers, I promise myself I will do that soon! I'll get the containers at the next half price sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have your Korean beef on my meal plan this week. It looks so yummy! All of your meals do :) Generally my meals for the week are kid friendly and occasionally I will throw a new one in to see if they like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clarissa, I think the Korean Beef will be kid friendly, it's not too sweet or salty and the meat just falls apart. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  5. Thanks for another great post, your meals always look so good that I can almost taste them. I have a question, not about meals, but about tea towels. I have been using the microfibre ones but I want to change and have found that not many tea towels actually absorb the moisture even after quite a few washes. All tea towels are not equal!! Have you got any favourite brands? I would be quite happy to make my own but am not sure what fabric would be best to use as most fabric is not pure cotton these days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary,
      The tea towels I use are from Aldi, every year when they have them on special and I pick up a pack of three. Before Aldi, I always bought my tea towels from Best and Less and always found them absorbent. I hope that helps, have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  6. Looks like a great week! I enjoyed making some new recipes from the latest Coles feed your family for $10 catalogue. The tuna pumpkin pasta bake was lovely. Still very cold so sticking to warm hearty meals - but not so great for the waistline with all that grilled cheese oops. Going to try and keep it healthier this week and will make a vegie bean minestrone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete