What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

I have taken some photos of what was in the Hello Fresh Box, I have to admit, I was a little excited opening the box as I really didn't know what to expect. Every fresh veggie, cheese, herb and some pantry items are included that you need to make the dish, there are some pantry items like eggs, flour and milk that obviously aren't included, but everything else is. Even tiny containers of Dijon mustard and just the right amount of cheese/red lentil/stock-cubes/curry powder ect that you need to complete the dish. They also include beautifully printed recipe cards with step by step instructions, so even someone who doesn't cook can replicate the recipe. As I said yesterday I only ordered one of these groceries/meal boxes as I was curious and I had a $30 off voucher, but I won't be ordering any more, I just don't feel it is value for money at $60 for 3 dinners for 2 people.

When I made the menu and shopping list, last Friday, I just included the 3 x veggie meals I knew would be coming from Hello Fresh but I didn't know exactly what would be in the box until it arrived. We did enjoy the two recipes from the box and I am still to make the Beetroot and Feta Tart I planned to make on Thursday, our son came down with a nasty chesty cold so I made a Chicken soup instead, I will make the tart one day next week.
What we bought
The box of groceries from Hello Fresh arrived at 2.43am in the cold dark morning, I guess they deliver then while it is really cold to preserve the fresh veggies and herbs. They send you a text with a photo of the box at your front door, that is how I know what time it arrived

As you can see the handy dandy insulation bag (Top green and white folded bag) was just folded and put next to the groceries, I would have thought it was best to put the groceries in the bag

The bag of herbs, ginger, garlic and chilli

Veggies and a lime

More veggies and pantry items

The cold items-filo pastry, cheeses, mayo and Dijon mustard

More veggies and pine nuts from the Hello Fresh box
............................................................................................................

Shopping from Aldi

Just one item from Coles

Shopping from Northside Discount Fruit Barn

Chicken thigh fillets and frozen pork mince from Marjax meats

What we spent
Hello Fresh Box-$29.95, I had a discount voucher for $30 so the box would normally be $59.95
Aldi-$60.60
Coles-$2.00 + $33.77 for items picked up on Thursday, not pictured (white choc chips and cranberries for the Biscuits I made to take to work yesterday and ingredients for a big pot of lovely Chicken soup)
Northside Discount Fruit Barn-$49.74
Marx Meats-$12.40

TOTAL-$188.46-that's a bigger week...Boo
What we ate

Sunday-Cheesy Carrot and Zucchini Fritters and a green salad

Steamed Cucumbers with Pork and Ginger, steamed basmati rice and asian greens

Tuesday-Spicy Carrot and Coconut Dahl with steamed Basmati rice and warm Chapati

Wednesday-Tempura Whiting with steamed basmati rice and asian greens

Thursday and Friday-Chicken Soup with warm buttered toast

So, the grocery/complete meal box isn't for us, but that is okay, I was just curious and we did have a couple of really delicious meals from it. I will post the Beetroot and Feta tart when I make it.

Over to you, have you ever tried one of these meal boxes? What did you think of them?

Have a lovely Saturday




2 comments

  1. Hi Fi, yes, we have tried the 'Hello Fresh' meal boxes at the discounted price too! I also was inquisitive about their product and also really enjoyed the meals. All the ingredients seemed to be first grade but I didn't like the amount of packaging. Also, I tend to cook up large quantities and then freeze batches for my mum or my adult kids who no longer live at home. That way I save a lot of time, effort, and money. We also 're-invent' leftovers a lot so the pre-packaged boxes aren't for us. They would be excellent in a busy household with teenage kids who need to learn how to cook I think! Love your blog❤️. Leigh from Ferny Hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh, I agree the Hello Fresh box would be great for people learning to cook with real and fresh ingredients and I also agree that there is too much packaging. I love your idea of doing a big cook up and then freezing portions down for when time and money is tight. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete

Back to Top