Whole Lime Cake with Lime Mascarpone Filling

Hello Dear Reader,



This is another of Mary Berry's recipes but I have changed it from a whole lemon cake to a whole lime cake. Our lime tree is fruiting abundantly and as I just love all things lime, I thought I would give this a recipe a whirl, using lime instead. You do get quite a tart flavour from the lime rind, I loved it but it may be a little too tart for some. I have a love affair with tart flavours like lime and grapefruit marmalade, so this cake was right up my ally. The actual cake is a doodle to make, mixed up, all in one go in a food processor, even so, it is incredibly light and the lime flavoured, cream cheese filling is heavenly.


I have also halved the recipe as the original one made a four layered marvel that was well out of my comfort/sane zone for a week night and I dusted the final cake with icing sugar instead of making a thin, drizzle icing for the top of the cake. The original cake looks stunning and if you have the time and the brain space to make it, it would totally be worth it. 

Ingredients for Whole Lime Cake with Lime Mascarpone Filling, clockwise from top right-
135 grams of SR flour plus 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 135 grams of softened butter, 2 eggs (I forgot to put 2 eggs in the photo), 125 grams of Mascarpone, 135 grams of white sugar, 1 lime, boiled for 30 minutes or until very soft, 85 grams of icing sugar (not pictured) and an extra 25 grams of butter for the icing (not pictured)

Cut the boiled lime in half and remove any seeds

In a food processor, blitz the lime until smoothish but still a little chunky, set aside until needed

To the same food processor bowl add the softened butter, flour, sugar and egg

Blitz until smooth

Now add half the blitzed lime to the cake mixture

And blitz again until just combined

Scrape and pour into a greased and lined cake tin (I used a 20 cm round tin) at first you will feel that it is too big for the amount of cake mixture but it does rise beautifully. If you want a higher sided cake, use a smaller size cake tin. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden and starting to come away from the edge of the tin. Leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire cake rack to cook completely

For the Lime Mascarpone Filling, in the bowl of a food processor, add 125 grams of Mascarpone, 25 grams of softened butter, 85 grams of icing sugar and the other half of the blitzed lime

Blitz until combined. Now, cut cooled cake into two even layers and spread the delicious lime cream evenly over the bottom layer, top with second layer and sieve over icing sugar just before serving.

Intense and delicious

My Mum was a wonderful cook and baker and her cakes were always so lovely and light, I think she would approve of this one. The tart mascarpone filling makes this cake so luscious I think it would keep well, in the fridge for a few days, but this one was eaten for morning tea, at work, the next day. 

Have a lovely Tuesday.


5 comments

  1. Thanks for the recipe Fiona. Your photo is making my tummy rumble. Will be giving this one a go. Enjoy.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy, I'm definitely putting this on the to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious does that look! I love creamy fillings, like the mascarpone. Yum! I have some limes that the fellow down the road gave me...think I will make us a lime cake! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to try this - it looks amazing and I love marscapone in cakes. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top