Easy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole

Hello Dear Reader,


My late Mother in law taught me this simple and delicious casserole, years ago, it is very quick to put together and there is no standing at the stove sautéing, just bung everything in a big bowl, give it a really good stir, pour into a lidded casserole dish and then whack it in the oven. It is so super easy and a great stand by for when you have some time but don't really feel like cooking or are just plain tired.

I made this dish, the day we arrived back from our holiday, while I was still a bit jet lagged and wanted something delicious and easy, well, it was exactly what I needed. I had been hankering after something comforting and home cooked for a while and I was also craving green vegetable so I steamed some lovely broccoli to go with it. I served it with fine egg noodles which were the perfect partner for the delicious creamy sauce.

Ingredients for Easy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole, clockwise from top right-
1 kg of chicken thigh fillets, each fillet cut into 4 pieces, 500 grams of mushrooms, sliced, finely chopped parsley to sprinkle over the top of finished dish, 1 large onion, finely chopped, 300 ml of thick cream and 2 cans of mushroom soup. 

Add everything to a very large mixing bowl, grind over salt and pepper to taste

Give everything a really good stir

Pour and scrape mixture into a large, shallow, lidded casserole dish

Bake for 1 hour at 200 C, remove lid, turn heat down to 175C and cook further for another 1/2 hour until golden brown and reduced

I served ours with fine egg noodles and steamed broccoli. Just what I needed, some home cooking.

What do you hanker for after being away from home for a while?

Have a lovely day.

One Year Ago-My Moussaka 

10 comments

  1. Ooooh thank you Fiona. I'll be keeping this one in mind when I menu plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Kylie, it's a great little recipe. Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. Wow, your back!! Great to hear you enjoyed your well earned travels. Love your blog Fiona.

    Regards Robyne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie, I loved yours so much, I hope you don't mind😉Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete
  4. I have a very similar recipe except it also has bacon. Yum. Glad you enjoyed your trip away and good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, we had a lovely time away but gee it's good to be home. I think I will try bacon in the mix next time, thanks.
      Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete
  5. Hi Fiona, love the look of this recipe. Do you think I would be able to substitute yoghurt for the cream? Thanks from Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,
      Cream and yoghurt behave differently when heated, the cream is much higher in fat and is more stable, the yoghurt probably wouldn't work added at the beginning but it may be okay added at the very end. I have never tried it myself but let me know if you try it.
      Fi

      Delete

Back to Top